Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Specialization (I think not)

“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”
Robert Heinlein


I love this quote. It may be a bit ambitious but you know I'm pretty good on an awfully lot of the list. I've never needed to plan an invasion, conn a ship, or set a bone at least so far and I do fully intend to die gallantly but we will see. 

Laurie Smith SikorowskiThere is such a push to be an expert, to specialize, to have that consistent style but being able to do a little bit of everything has its perks. Not to mention it makes you quite popular for trivia pursuit and other random games. Ok so I may not become the next master or whatever.

Art for me is a little like this. I want to learn (or learn to do better) glass blowing, quilting, tatting, lettering, sculpting, sketching, 3-D rendering, photography, collage, paper piecing, jewelry making, creating clothing and accessories, making mosaics, art dolls, assemblage, welding, paper mache, crocheting, painting, flower arranging, styling, writing, screen printing, pottery making, encaustic artwork, altered books, art journaling, creating large art installations and murals.... Oh my goodness I could go on and on. I want to try everything then go back do them all over again! I honestly think that will be a part of heaven -time to learn and experiment and grow. Ahhh -bliss! I can teach and take classes. Who knows maybe I'll gain the gift of singing and composing. Wouldn't that be just grand! Everyone sharing what they know and infinite time to imagine new and wonderful things!

Music for the moment: Queen's I Want It All

No comments:

Post a Comment