Sunday, January 12, 2014

Its about TIME


Well little word you’ve finally manifested yourself and quite frankly its about time.  I mean that literarily.  My word for 2014 is TIME.

Maybe it is partly because I am approaching the mid-century mark of my life that I have an acute awareness of time as our most precious gift.  We will go to almost any extreme to have more time yet we often live day to day with so much of our time frittered away without thought.  Shouldn’t we live each moment fully, purposely, passionately, not drifting aimlessly? The answer is Yes. A profound Yes! 
At the end of my life, I don’t want to regret what I haven’t tried. Goals must be set but not so rigidly that spontaneity is squelched.  Plans must be followed but not to the expense of being fully engaged in the here and now.  Creativity only happens when you are available and ready for it.  It takes managing time so that it has its place while the other important pieces of life don’t become neglected, especially the relational ones which rightly need to come first.
Since words are such powerful things, I want my word for 2014 to be something meaningful and personal with the ability for me to use it as a catapult in my art as well as a focus for my life.
Here is a sort of three part summary of how I want a contemplation of time to affect my life. First is in focusing my thoughts and actions more clearly in an intentional pursuit of God’s will for my life and of what I want from my time here on earth (which of course I desperately need to define) For this  I need an active forward direction as I have a tendency to not want to rock the boat and let life and circumstance flow without thoughtful purpose or when the goal is clear, not putting the proper actions consistently in place to realize my desire effectively.  Next, I want to balance my time better between all aspects of my life (work, rest, play, art, family, friends, physical healthiness, spiritual growth, and completing the last bits of work to my house) Finally, I want to spend each moment of time content with a grateful and generous spirit.
For this post, I’ve included my painting entitled “Tempus Fugit”  as an arty to start this year's long journey into TIME.

"Tempus Fugit"  -Borrowed from Latin, written by the Roman poet Virgil - "fugit interea fugit irreparabile tempus" Literally the quote means “but it flees meanwhile: irretrievable time flees” and has the more common but less literal translation of  "while, the irreplaceable time escapes".  We often shorten it to "Time flies." But doesn't the Latin seem more appropriate? 

This is my largest and most ambitious canvas yet (48" x 60") I am barely taller than it, although thankfully not quite as wide.  I created it first by collaging old journal pages on to the canvas then texturing it with a combination of modeling paste and paints.  I then began painting both directly to the canvas and also on separate papers that I collaged on at various stages of the process.  The base of the body is a photo of old plywood from an abandoned church that I took during a drive back from a job meeting in Mobile.  The base of the branches and some of the leaves are printed from an old Polish prayer book that my husband's father brought over when he snuck out during the communist regime.  Sheet music is also collaged into the art.  I wanted the viewer to read a lot of meanings into this painting and for everyone who sees it to interpret it a little differently.

Now, back to the topic of Words.  Have you selected your word yet? Are you ready to claim your word?  Stay open to possibilities.  Sometimes a word just pops in to your head unbidden.  It may not make sense initially but give it time (there’s my word again) Mull it over, see if it connects to your heart.  Often our heart speaks to us in subtle and quiet ways.  It knows what is not yet in our consciousness. Be still; Listen.  You may just discover your word has found you.
Cat’s in the Cradle” happened to come on the radio as I was typing up this post -so appropriate! Enjoy.
"Time is an illusion."
~Albert Einstein

No comments:

Post a Comment