Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Creativity takes Courage ... and Effort.


Good morning blogosphere!

Henry Matisse said, “The artist begins with a vision - a creative operation requiring an effort.  Creativity takes courage.”  I agree creativity does take courage... and effort.  Certain people seem to naturally be more creative. I think sometimes it is just that different folks express their creativity differently.

My mom for instance, she is a born decorator and hostess. She is always saying how unartistic she is, but really it is just for her creativity expresses itself more with pillows and plates and paints. My dad on the other hand, could jerry-rig anything. His creativity generally was of the MacGuyver variety. Although he did machine embroidery a little wash cloth for me when I was born -cool, huh?

I think People are born with natural inclinations. I have two amazing daughters. They couldn’t be more different. They have always had their very own style. Ever since they were quite young I could tell whose art was whose. And really it is opposite of what you would expect.  One daughter tends to have a more openly expressive personality.  Her art was always simple, clean, each line intentional and pure.  My other daughter has a slightly more cautious personality.  Yet her art leans to the exuberant and vibrates with energy. No coloring inside the lines for her.  More is more is more -especially when she was younger. Both are fabulously creative.

In fact sometimes I wish I was as secure in my style as they seem to be.  It really shows up in how they put together outfits. They dress as themselves. I flounder in every direction -clothes and art. I want to try everything. Somehow wanting it to all to come together cohesively. To make sense and be "me". One of my brothers once called me a seeker. I think it is a good description.

In art, Mixed Media seems to personify this seeking mentality. There is such a freedom to this genre. I remember when I first picked up a Somerset Studio magazine; I felt a connection to each artist represented in it. There was something intrinsic to the artwork shown inside that touch my heart deeply.

I'd dabbled in oils when I was quite young and watercolors more recently. I adored children's picturebook illustrations, especially the old ones. I had collected some amazing whimsical artwork, mostly through local arts and craft shows. But this marvelous mixture of paints, pastels, and collage..... Wow!  I felt I could do this.  It felt real. This is what I was meant to do. It encouraged experimentation and play. Hallelujah, this is "me".

Then a year or so later I was doodling with my girly drawings and I happened to google "big eyed girl". My Mam-maw had the iconic low-brow ballerina and harlequin boy on the walls of her guest bedroom and I wanted to see if they looked as I remembered. I was wanting to stylize my girls more as they tended to be more realistic than what I usually draw now. 

Well, I found more than the two pictures I was looking for; I found the Willowing ning site and I was astounded.  There were all these other people who were drawing girls and adding words in the same vein I was and I didn't even know they existed. I'd never seen artwork like this. How could others be going in the same direction as I? I learned of Artist Trading Cards and began to swap a little. It was such a positive and encourage tribe. I felt like I could belong in this group of like minded ladies. My art wasn't so strange after all. Even the simple and "cute" had value. I haven't looked back and can't wait to see where it eventually leads!

No comments:

Post a Comment